trying to pull up this sinking ship...

From the collection: 1908: I found this glass negative at a local fair. It's one of Chicago's first fireboats, sunk in 1908 at 16th & Canal. This was a great little score and piece of Chicago history!

03/22/2010: CT Left & X-Ray Right. Note the size of the liver in the CT and the 3 white areas in the X-Ray. Those 3 white spots are the wires used to clog the veins... (AKA - PVE)

03/22/2010: 3 CT sections. In the first image, you can see some growth of the left lobe. Note the center of the large tumor in the 2nd and 3rd images. You can see a bit more necrosis forming... at least, that's what I'm told it is. This could be via PRRT killing NET cells, or from the right lobe & tumor having a decreased blood supply? Or, both?

The blog has been SILENT this week… That is not surprising, since all I’ve been doing is trying to get some rest (Spending a lot of time catching up on bad TV). I can’t stand it… If I have not returned your calls or emails, it’s because I just don’t have the energy to do so.

To Recap: For the first 4 weeks after PRRT I felt great. And, the same was true up to 2 weeks after my PVE procedure, performed on March 8th. But last Monday it felt like I hit a wall hard! On March 22nd, I went to the ER with extreme abdominal pains in the liver area, radiating to my neck and head. At times, it was difficult to breathe and impossible to get comfortable. Over the last 7 days, the pain has subsided a bit (but still there), but I do get chills, night sweats, headaches, and have VERY low energy. My body temperature ranges from normal to a low-grade fever with a maximum of 101F. They did a full work up at Northwestern Memorial Hospital, and found nothing life threatening. (This included Ultra Sound, CT Scan & X-ray.). They were able to rule out pulmonary embo, fluid build-up, internal bleeding, etc. I even went for more labs this week and a check-up with my primary physician.

I was told that the fever / chills might be from tumor necrosis. The reasoning for why I might have abdominal pains seems valid, since my liver is growing and possibly pushing that tumor even more. However, I am uncertain about these other symptoms of lethargy, chills, fever, etc. The doctors here are unable to provide a definitive reasoning. Furthermore, my WBC pre & post PVE was around 4-6, whereas it is now slightly above normal between 10-11 (The docs do not think this is too worrisome)

Prior to the PVE and PRRT, I felt quite healthy with energy. I do think a lot of this has to do with PRRT affecting the tumors (necrosis) combined with further necrosis in the large tumor of the liver. If you look at the CT’s above, there is a stark contrast between earlier scans. (Note the discolored areas in the center of the dominant lesion. That is, compare the dark areas of the large tumor in the most recent CT with older views. The dark area in the most recent CT scan is assumed to be necrotic. CLICK TO VIEW: Compare: FLT PET from 02/2010…. CLICK TO VIEW: Compare: This is what it looked like early in June of 2009 via MRI. )

The part that KILLS me is that I am a VERY active person. I usually work 10-14hrs a day, and I enjoy what I do, crazy as it is at times. Now, if I overwork myself, I get tired very fast and have to resort back to resting. Sitting on the couch is TORTURE. Whatever it is, I want it to stop and get back to normal However, I suspect the upcoming surgery will present even more time for laying low…

In other news: Andrea's grandmother, Olga Guerra, died on Thursday. 1922 -2010. Andrea was very close with her and of course, my thoughts are with her and the family. I remember when I first met Olga she said to me, "You're sooo good looking...." How could she not win me over with that line? The services are this Friday. She will be missed.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tickets to Germany: Bad Berka

...a long winded story not written all that well.

On the refrigerator...