new work... in the darkroom

I've been working on some new prints. I'm not in love with this one, but it's still a work in progress. This is image is a scan of the negative, 4"x4". It's a mix of color 110 film and medium format. I've been working on getting the print right in the darkroom. I prefer to have a very muted gray, rather than try to correct out with variable contrast filters. I like how the color negatives give off that soft gray when printed in B&W. Overall contrast of black and white is not required for this work. Seeing as though I'm printing with distressed negatives, there is a splendid imperfection. No need to toy too much with trying to find a full range. Instead, I rely more on dodging, burning, masking, and exposure / development times to get the print right. So far, I'm still working on the masking for this one. It's been a while since I've had time to print in the darkroom. So, even if I'm not happy with this piece, I'm just happy to get my fingers wet again.

Comments

  1. stumbled upon your blog.
    so happy to see someone who works in a darkroom AND makes lots of photobooth strips. please keep it up, i love film too much! cathy

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Tickets to Germany: Bad Berka

...a long winded story not written all that well.

On the refrigerator...