ALIVE...REAL...TRUE...!!!



I completed the second day of my OctreoScan, finishing the series. It was pretty simple, and I expect to have the results back by Thursday for the Oncology visit. Now, getting a copy of my medical records for referral is another story. I want to preface my next remarks by saying that I have the utmost respect for my doctors at the University of Chicago. Now, with that said, the support staff is fucking HORRENDOUS. They’re lazy, rude, and borderline brain dead. If my family wasn’t reading this blog, my use of descriptive adjectives would be much worse…MUCH worse indeed. I’ll spare you all the intricate details for the sake of time, and my blood pressure. Needless to say, I expect more from a hospital. I don’t care what your problem is; serve your client like a professional. If I have to get a transplant, there’s no way in hell I’m going back there for it. (Unless I’m forced too.)

I’m currently in the process of seeking additional opinions for medical treatment. I have an appointment at Northwestern (Chicago) on March 3rd. I’ll be meeting with Dr. Al Bensen, who’s supposed to be “the guy” for NET’s in Chicago. Northwestern also offers Y90 treatment. And of course, they can do a transplant if necessary. I’m already happier with the staff I’ve talked to thus far. And, from my past experiences, they have a more aesthetically pleasing facility. (It’s less junky…).

But before we end it here… Things wouldn’t be complete if I wasn’t documenting this experience. So, see the “Photos of the Day”. See me in the Gamma Ray machine and a picture of the mystery screen. ALIVE, REAL…TRUE! (For those who don’t get that, think sideshow banner… yeah? Make sense now? Okay, laugh…. No really, laugh.

Comments

  1. Anthony,

    When my Dad was going through radiation recently for a small tumor in his esophagus he reached point where he laid into the crappy staff. He described the scene thusly:
    Wearing only a gown, with a special mask on my face to hold my head still while the radiation is administered I noticed that the machine was quiet and quiet for a long time. Typically I can hear the functions and processes but this time, a long time passed and nothing was happening. I am actually attached to this machine, hoisted in the air and it's uncomfortable and scary. I couldn't turn my head to the technicians but I knew they could hear me so I said, "Something's not right, either you're over there on the fucking phone or you're reading the fucking manual because you don't know what the fuck your doing- but get me the fuck off of this machine until you figure out what the fuck you're doing." He left the clinic and didn't go back for treatment again until the Oncologist called him to apologize.

    It's important to stick up for yourself as you go through this process. If you need someone to be your advocate give me a call.

    And I would like to add a "Thank you" for blogging about this.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Tickets to Germany: Bad Berka

...a long winded story not written all that well.

On the refrigerator...