Maude Granger

Found Cabinet Card photo of Maude Granger, Circa 1890-1900: Currently in my personal Collection: Acquired 01/19/2009

Photo of Maude Granger: From the New York Public Library Archive.

Back in January, on my birthday, Andrea and I went to hit some of our local Chicago junk and antique shops. I came across some great finds, one of which is above... From the pose, signature and style of the image, I instantly knew it was a photo of a performer. Of course, it was buried in a box of cabinet cards, strewn about like used-dirty socks... but nonetheless, it called loudly to me through that "moldy old basement book" smell. So, I added it to my stack and walked out with a stash of new photos for just a few bucks. As is typical, when I got home I placed the paper bag of photos atop one on my COUNTLESS stacks of prints and images. But today, while organizing a bit, I came across it again. So, I decided to do a little research on it. It's Maude Granger (1851?-1928), a rather famous stage and early screen actress. The New York Public Library has a great archive of about 70-80 of her photos (link below), for which this one is not included! Also, most of here shots were done by Mora, the famous New York celebrity photographer. My photo, circa 1890-1900, isn't one of the better ones. I doubt it's even worth much. Nevertheless, I like the fact that it's signed by her hand, and produced by a lesser know Philadelphia photographer.

It's strange, the imprints we leave on this world... our likeness, Maude's likeness, to be found in some crumby junk shop box...? Only to be resurrected over one hundred years later, and posted to some Cancer boy's online blog? (I use "Cancer Boy" in a more tongue-in-cheek kind of way... so, hold your horses.) I don't mean to wax philosophical, at least not at the expense of sounding cheesy... but really, what becomes of us? Our things? What it the archeology that we leave behind when our personality can no longer carry their weight? What is discovered, and what is lost? How will my "artifacts" read to the next generation? Who's going to dig me out of a box? And, what might they say...?

With that thought, I'm going to organize my darkroom today... I think silver is much more regal than ink, and surely perseveres.

NY Public Library Photo Archive (Maude Granger)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tickets to Germany: Bad Berka

...a long winded story not written all that well.

...oh, really? shit....headed home