Guts, Drugs and another day in the hospital

click to enlarge photo

Because we don't have much to report today, we've included a revolting photo for your viewing pleasure. Note the 2 tumors inside and one small one on the outside. I know, I'm going to throw up now too. We actually have these REALLY raunchy photos of his abdomen during surgery, wide open from his belly button to ribcage. Maybe I'll put them in a Picasa album so you will not be bombarded with the images like the others. So, if you are into science, just curious, or in the mood to vomit, you are welcome to log on. If not, you can just read on, and keep your lunches. I have to say I’m typically the type of person who is squeamish as hell. I literally pass out when they have to draw blood from me, and definitely can’t see other people get poked with needles. I’ve never had surgery myself (wisdom teeth removal- but that doesn’t count). I was so scared that seeing all this medical business the last week would put me over the edge, but it’s amazing how differently I’ve reacted. They say human beings have a “fight” or “flight” response when presented with a stressful situation, and in this stressful situation, my nervous system says fight. When it comes to this situation, I’m determined to do everything I can to help Anthony get through this as easily as possible.

Last night was restless for both of us, as the pain meds were not doing their job. I know how the parents of newborns must feel- getting up every time there is a noise to make sure everything is okay. They finally gave him a good dose of morphine early this morning just in time for the doctors and nurses to start doing their rounds. The morphine makes Anthony really sleepy, but you can't time a nap if people are coming and going constantly. Needless to say, the sleep deprivation and the uncomfortable chair-bed is starting to get to me. Anthony, however, has all the good drugs - so mentally he's on a relaxing vacation. By the way he’s behaving, though, I presume he’s having some kind of Alice in Wonderland experience. He says that every time he closes his eyes he has visualizations of weird objects….. metal baseball bats, men that are covered in oil and can’t get up off the ground, my Oprah Magazine subscription card multiplying on the floor. It’s been mildly entertaining not knowing what the hell he’s going to say next. Most his words are still unintelligible, which is getting frustrating trying to communicate.

Anthony fell asleep for a while mid-day, and I was able to sneak out for an hour or two to go to our hotel and make myself look slightly less horrifying. I also got a much needed massage – doctor’s orders. It’s SO nice to be able to leave the hospital, even if only for a bit. I really can’t leave Anthony for very long though, as there are so many little things that he needs that you can’t expect the staff to be doing. Once he’s off the heavy drugs, it will be better, but until then he needs some adult supervision.

Dr. Botha- our wonderful surgeon- came by for a visit today to check on Anthony. He said everything looks good. We are still awaiting the pathology of the tumors to come back this week sometime. I am very curious to find out if this is truly a “hybrid tumor” as they had suspected at the hospital in Germany. Dr. Botha didn’t see anything that looked like it wasn’t 100% Carcinoid, but we will have to see what the results show in order to be sure. Of course, we hope it’s just Carcinoid, because they are very, very slow growing. Other types of Cancer are more aggressive, so we would not welcome Anthony’s cellular party. We will let you know as soon as we hear anything on this front, for sure.

PS- in technology news. I figured out how to update the blog on the laptop, instead of IPhone. Now you can enjoy a non- annoying blog format, full sentences, and somewhat correct grammar.
We’re off for a walk down the hall. More tomorrow!
Xoxo- Andrea

Comments

  1. Hey there

    Do you guys want anything? I'd like to send something. What's the address?

    Steve

    ReplyDelete
  2. That pic is AWESOME!!! It's freaky that they took that giant peice of liver out of his body. SO happy he's doing well. Thanks for the updates Andi!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Andrea--

    You are a beautiful writer. Joe Jacoby sent me a link to Anthony's blog and I read up a bit on what is going on. My thoughts and heart are with you both, and I wish Anthony a speedy recovery.

    Much love--

    Peter Benoit

    ReplyDelete
  4. Andrea,
    Do send/post an address, please. It's nice to read that Anthony's making progress. And while I know that I would cringe at the photos, I probably _would_ click on a Picasa surgery-photo link. My love to you and Anthony.

    Best,
    Adriana

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Tickets to Germany: Bad Berka

...a long winded story not written all that well.

On the refrigerator...