notes on treatment in Germany...

The "kidney protection" drip... this thing lasts forever!

The beautiful adornment...

My hospital room in the ward... not too bad.
After a relaxing day with Andrea (fueled by room service and general doing-nothingness), I checked into the hospital on Sunday afternoon. At which point, Andrea and I were eventually forced to part ways. I am not allowed visitors in the hospital ward, be it before, during, or after treatment.

On Monday, I started a battery of different tests which consisted of much poking of needles. One test was to examine kidney function. At around noon, after a physical examination, my treatment began with an IV drip of “kidney protection” medicine. After about 45 minutes, the PRRT treatment was started. The treatment was short, maybe 30 minutes or so? I felt ok during treatment, but right after I started to feel very anxious, had a headache, was kind of dizzy and generally irritated all over. It was as if I could just not stay still or get comfortable (I believe much of this was my own mental state, not the medicine). This made the following 20 minute full body scan nearly unbearable. The scan itself was painless, but being in the machine felt like an eternity when all I wanted to do was move in every direction. After the scan, I endured another bottle of “kidney protection”. This was also not so bad ….Except that when you’re having “restless leg” syndrome and you are tethered to this contraption, sticking out of your arm for hours, it made me feel even more restless. I some how managed some kind of half-sick-restless-sleep state until the final drip bottle was removed. After which, we were served “dinner”. I was not up for eating, so I instead had a granola bar just to get some nutrients (bringing my own groceries was critical). After the treatment, you are expected to drink 3-4 liters of water. I did this in about 4hrs, just so I could get it over with and get some sleep. It’s not fun drinking that much water when you probably really just want to throw up. Actually, the water makes you want to puke more, but knowing that I would have to just drink more water if I lost it, I refused such devices. Instead, I finished my water and topped it off with a Xanex, 400mg Ibuprofen, German sleeping pill, and some anti-nausea meds just to complete the cocktail. –Lights out.

Tuesday, today, I woke up feeling much better. A little groggy and slow, but better. I even had the hospital breakfast, which was not terrible. I started a new regiment of mass consumptions of water and had another full body scan. I have to stay in my room, but I have the internet and can stream movies from Netflix. So, it’s not terrible. I had planned to call and email people yesterday, but was just not up to it. I will try to do so today… Luckily, I can talk with Andrea via the iPhone Skype app, and I have another VOIP devise on my computer.

Overall, the hospital is quite nice, clean, and the staff is friendly. There is a beautiful view from my room window overlooking the vast forest. –the snow is also quite nice. However, it can get lonely at times when you are isolated in a foreign system. The hospital here works much different than that in the US and it takes some getting used to. Also, the language barrier can be difficult at times. Luckily, the doctors all speak English very well.

Wednesday and Thursday I will have some more tests. The FDG PET scan will be on Thursday, which will be looking at the large liver tumor to see what is going on there. (FNH or NET, etc.). I will be allowed to leave the ward again late Wednesday afternoon. If all goes well, I will check out Thursday after my final exams and consult with Dr. Baum. Then, we’ll head back to Frankfurt on Friday… coming home. Thus far, I believe the worst is over. I just miss my wife (who is just a few miles away), my cats, house and library. I do not miss working all the time… however, it would be a lie if I if said I wasn’t trying to keep tabs on things from abroad.

More to follow…

Comments

  1. Anthony,

    We are always thinking of you and Andrea (we're old friends from U of I). I keep up with your story here and today thought I'd let you know, even though I don't know you personally. You are a very intriguing guy and I can see why you're a good match for Andrea - both very special. I've enjoyed your posts, lately the one about your Aunt Lil in particular.

    May the rest of your stay go quickly and know that stateside many are also on your side.

    Sincerely,
    Lily and family

    ReplyDelete
  2. Be strong Anthony.
    Life is an adventure and you are now on a wild ride.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Tickets to Germany: Bad Berka

...a long winded story not written all that well.

...oh, really? shit....headed home